Friday, November 16, 2007

Facebook (#17 1/2)

I don't have a Facebook account so it's hard to say exactly which applications for librarians I (or our customers) would like, but from the descriptions there seem to be a few. I would be interested in the Subject guide links and, if I ever get myself to use it, the links to del.icio.us bookmarks. Those sound helpful and convenient. If Queens Library had access to Jstor then that would be a useful link, and one that customers would like as well. I think the customers would definitely use the Ask A Librarian application. I would like the Book I read application, but I am already doing that in two places already - goodreads and Library Thing. I doubt I'd want to enter all that information again and then keep it up to date in three places. Isn't this a problem in general? Do people with Facebook, Myspace, and maybe even other social networking accounts spend a lot of time entering redundant information or abandoning certain accounts when they fall off the "hot list?" Friendster was the original site and I'm wondering if a lot of people still use it. I'm still a little wary of relinquishing too much of my privacy, but I am sure I will eventually create a Facebook page for myself.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi--I help out at Goodreads. Just wanted to let you know that there is a Goodreads Application for Facebook, so you don't have to re-add all your books if you ever join!
Cheers,
Elizabeth

ceelabee said...

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.