Monday, November 5, 2007

Tagging (#13)

This week's assignment was to check out the Queens Library Web 2.0 del.icio.us page and/or create your own account. I did both. I am really digging the fact that I can store all my bookmarks in one place on my new account since we have 9 computers we can use at work and I have one at home too. I don't have a blackberry yet (thank god) but I imagine it would help there too. I found the link to the Library Journal article about del.icio.us tagging for libraries on the QL page. I'd tried to read it before but now that I've explored the site, I understand it much better. It seems like another good way to introduce the kids to libraries so I see nothing wrong with it. However, my fusty old librarian side is somewhat disturbed by the lack of authority control in all this willy nilly tagging. White it's nice to escape from the imposed "library language" of subject headings, I also feel like what if everyone has a different way of describing certain concepts or things? Could it make things MORE complicated in the end rather than less so? It's certainly a fun process though.

No comments: