Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Feeding Frenzy (#9)

Hmmm...This thing was very difficult for me. It seemed like it should make more sense than it did. I honestly did not like any of the RSS feed search tools better than the others and found them all lacking. I found most of the feeds that I did not already know about from previous travels through the web in Bloglines. When signing up for feeds you can look at an area called "Quick Pick" subscriptions which has popular feeds broken down by general category - bookworms, music, news, etc. I find more things of interest when provided with categories. When I entered terms into Feedster, Technorati, and Topix, I didn't get anything relevant, really. Just because someone has blogged about something doesn't mean the overall theme of the blog is of general interest to you. Maybe my search terms were too broad? I tried entering "music news" and "book reviews" and also more specific terms relating to my various collections, some of which are pretty idiosyncratic and shouldn't yield an overwhelming number of results, but all these strategies did just that. I got a ton of results for feeds that didn't really relate. I had better luck when I entered "Leo horoscope," but I only did that because I read someone else's Library learning blog and although I got results, it turned out I didn't really want a daily horoscope after all. So, I'm still a bit confused about what this one is all about.

No comments: