Monday, October 1, 2007

Lifelong Learning

I am not that old, yet lately have been feeling like a bit of a geezer when it comes to technology( "these crazy kids, what are they up to now?"). I do remember when learning new things about computers and the internet seemed natural, intuitive, and fun, but somehow within the last few years, those feelings of ease have vanished and when I hear about social networking and blogging I feel more like my own grandmother trying to send an email. So, I am relieved and excited to find, through Queens Library, a fun and low pressure way to get back into learning. Our first assignment was to go through the "7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners" and discuss which steps were easy for us and which were hard. I thought the 7 1/2 habits in general were kinda obvious, especially given that we all work for libraries and should be eager learner types to begin with, but I am willing to put in my two cents. For me the easiest steps would be accepting responsibility for my own learning (if not me, then who?), having confidence in myself as an effective learner, and teaching/mentoring others. I like learning and helping others to learn, especially when it is about something I also enjoy. The hardest habit would definitely be viewing problems as challenges. It's usually only in hindsight that I can see I learned something from dealing with a problem. So, in setting up this blog and writing this post, I've taken the first step in towards learning about Library 2.0...

1 comment:

Sherwood said...

I had the same old feeling about the recent years' fast development of technology. I used to be following the "front platoon", now at the end of the "brigade". Without progress, it will be "retrogress"? Thanks to the QL L2.0 program, it sort of wakes me up to get on the road again after a too long lingering and wondering/meandering.